Wednesday 9 September 2009

Sod's, or is it Murphey's, Law?

Just when we thought all our arrangements were well under control and completed in good time, the Fates come to tease us. We had had to send our passports to VSO for them to get our Ethiopian work visas in London. They were ostensibly on their way back to us by courier on Monday with a guaranteed next day delivery. When they didn't show up on Tuesday, being the sort of person I (Richard) am, I started to worry. (Just ask my children about whether I am the sort of person who thinks things will go wrong!) So I emailed the courier company yesterday and they said they would look into it; no response. So, I phoned them this morning. Then VSO contacted us to say that our passports had been sent to the wrong address in Spain, apparently of another volunteer. The courier will try to recover them and get them to us by tomorrow, otherwise we won't be able to take our booked flight on Friday, will lose the night we've paid for a hotel in London that night, will miss our flight to Addis Ababa on Saturday and will be very late for our 9-day in-country training course. Oh, and I've just acquired a stye on my eye. Our next blog may be about how we nearly went on VSO.

No comments:

Post a Comment